List of Services

Telephone Service

Departmental line requests and maintenance is requested through SAP. If you do not have SAP access, click on Request Services at the top of this page. On-campus calls are made by dialing the last 4 digits of the phone number. For residential students, a campus phone number can be assigned to a room at no charge. To request phone service, email or call 662-915-5922. Telecommunications will need to know your name, student ID, and your hall and room number. Students are encouraged to have a phone in their room in case of emergency.

Additional Phone Features (Faculty and Staff only)

    Voice mail: Telecommunications offers three different types of voice mail. For more information please click HERE.
    • Standard - Voice mail will pick up after three rings. The cost for standard voice mail is $2 per month and is billed annually to the department.
    • Alternative - Voice mail will only pick up if turned on manually by the user. The cost for standard voice mail is $2 per month and is billed annually to the department.
    • POP - - Voice mails will be sent to email as an audio file. The cost for POP voice mail is $7 per month and is billed annually to the department.

    Caller ID: Will display incoming phone number for off campus calls and will display the extension, building and room number for on campus calls. The cost for caller ID is $7.50 per month and is billed annually to the department.

    EC500 (extension to cellular): With this feature turned on you can answer your campus telephone calls on your cell phone and transfer them between your desk phone and cell phone, all transparent to the end-caller. With EC 500, you no longer have to give out your cell phone number because when you make a call, your desk number appears. The end caller does not see your cell phone number.

    Any one that has subscribed for the EC500 service can activate/deactivate this feature by using a programmed hot key on their desk phone. The service can also be activated from the cellular phone by dialing 915-1743 and deactivated by dialing 915-1844. No monthly fee is charged for this service. There is a one-time programming fee of $50.
    The EC500 service requires a local cell phone and digital phone service.

    To request features click on Request Services at the top of this page.

Long Distance Service

All campus phones are restricted from making long distance calls. Faculty, staff, and students can apply for their own access code by click on Request Services at the top of this page.

Faculty and staff can apply for a departmental and a personal long distance code. A departmental code is used for departmental calls and is billed to the department. A personal code is used for personal calls and the charge is payroll deducted. Call detail for long distance calls is available in myolemiss, or for more detail, click on telephone services. Student's long distance calls are charged to their bursar account.

For phone dialing instructions, click here .

Directory Assistance

Campus automated directory assistance is available by dialing 8411 on campus and 662-915-8411 from off campus. You can automatically receive faculty, staff and department phone numbers through this automated system, 24 hours a day.

Cable TV

The Telecommunications Center runs its own cable TV system for the campus community and offers a complete line up of cable television channels. Cable TV service for students living on campus is included in the cost of housing. Departments can request cable TV through SAP. Click here for more information .


Through Apogee, faculty, staff, and students can access streaming TV services for their computer and personal mobile devices. The streaming TV service is only available while connected to the campus network.
More detail for Stream2

Free Conference Phone Loan

The University can provide an Analog Polycom Conference Phone that can be used to make conference calls, with multiple callers to listen and/or talk on the same call. This free service can be requested by submitting an SAP notification, or for non SAP users go to Request Services. The conference phone can be picked up and returned to Baxter Hall.

Network Access: Faculty, Staff and Students

Wired and wireless network access is provided to all departments on campus. Additional network outlets should be requested through an SAP notification. Residence halls have both wired and wireless connections. However, only wireless access is provided to The Village residents.

Network Access: Camps and Conferences

To request access for your camp or conference please visit: